Monday 7 February 2011

Jaffa Cakes and Jesus


This is a really fun object lesson that I have used for primary school assemblies. The only thing you need is Jaffa Cakes (I usually buy enough for the entire assembly so every child gets a souvenir). NB: I also bring 4 teeshirts with the letters J A F F A written on them and get the children to put them on....if you live near me and want to borrow them let me know.

Who here likes biscuits? (allow the children to respond)
Whao you have said some of my favourite too! But I wonder if you can guess what biscuit I am going to talk about today?
My biscuit begins with the letter "J" who would like to put this tee-shirt on? (allow child to come up and put it on).
Who would like to put on the next tee-shirt? (let a child come up and put the "A" on)
Pick two more children and then ask the group what it says on the tee-shirts.

Yes Jaffa Cakes! I love Jaffa Cakes, does anyone here like Jaffa Cakes? (allow children to respond)
Depending on how long you have allocated, you could ask them how they eat their Jaffa Cakes (picking the chocolate off, full moon/half moon etc...)

Another reason why I love Jaffa Cakes is because they have a secret message hidden in them. You see each letter stands for a word. (get the children with tee-shirts turn around to reveal the words "JESUS A FRIEND FOR ALL").

JAFFA stands for Jesus A Friend For All.
Can we all say it together (allow response- again with time permitting you could get them to shout it, whisper it etc.)

Yes- Jesus is our friend. He loves us and wants to help us. He doesn't care what we look like, if we are really tall or small. He is a friend for everyone, and he can help us when we are having a bad day, as he loves us very much- all we have to do is pray and ask him to help us. So remember whenever you feel lonely or sad- remember "Jesus is A Friend For All."

Close in prayer if your school allows you.

questions/comments/queries leave me a message!

2 comments: