Friday 28 January 2011

Jelly Babies and Jesus


This is a great story/ object lesson which can be used at any part of the year (just alter the information). I usually use it when I am speaking at "Remembrance Day" services, especially if the church is full of young children in uniformed organisations. Please note that you have to use Bassetts Jelly Babies for the story to work (see picture.)

Who here likes sweets? (pause to allow the children to respond)
Who can tell me what their favourite sweet is? (Let Children tell you what they like.)
Well, today I am going to tell you a story about my favourite sweets.

My favourite sweets are "Jelly Babies" - does anyone here like them too? (allow children to respond)
"Jelly Babies" when they were first made were not called jelly babies, they were called "Peace Babies" because they were produced after the 1st World War, and each colour represented a country which fought in the war.

But we all know that it wasn't long before the 2nd World War started, and because sweets and chocolate were not essential goods, the production of "Peace Babies" stopped.

But our story doesn't stop there, you see after the War, a man decided to buy the factory were "Peace Babies" were made. This man was a very special man, as he loved Jesus.
Can I let you into a secret? Not many people know this secret....(build suspense)
There are secret symbols hidden on each "Jelly Baby" which can help us tell others about the wonderful love of Jesus Christ!!
Do you want to know what they are? (allow response)

(At this point you can get the children to lick the flour of the babies as you explain the symbols, or what I normally do is draw Jelly Babies onto A2 sheets with the symbols on them so that everybody can see the symbols- that way you can give the children a packet to take and try the exercise out for themselves!)

Black = When you lick off the flour you can see a Heart, which represents the sin in our lives.
Green= You will see the Baby Crying, which represents God's sadness that People didn't know the way to Heaven.
Red = You will see a B which represents "Blood" as Christ died to show how much he loved us and to show the way to heaven
Pink = Is a Baby, when we become a Christian we become a "child of God" (or born again).
Yellow= Is wearing a Necklace, which represents the riches of Heaven.
Orange= Is wearing a Bum Bag which tells us that we need to be prepared for Jesus coming again.

At the end you could give the children a small packet of "Jelly Babies" so they can try the story for them selves.


Any questions/queries please leave me a comment.

18 comments:

  1. i've used it several times, it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Can I just ask did you assign the significance to each jelly baby or is what you said actually why they have things like a heart or necklace on them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Hampton - sorry for the late reply, I have neglected the ole blog recently.

    What I can confirm is that the family who bought "Jelly Babies" after the 2nd world war, were Christians - unfortunately this family no longer own the brand.

    I can no longer find the document which I based this lesson on (I prepared this lesson about 6 years ago.) So I can't confirm if it was a "reliable source".

    Following your comment- I re-read my post, and can see how misleading it was, so I edited the information to prevent any future confusion for other readers.


    Hope this information helps.
    Thanks for your feedback- I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! I didn't know that. excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big George,Glasgow.
    At church one Sunday,our minister used it as his sermon (personally I thought he had made it up!).Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Based our "All-Age Talk" at our Remembrance Service on this information, supplemented with some detail about Jelly Babies from Wikipedia. Much appreciated by congregation - especially the two bags of Basset's Jelly Babies I handed round of course - and have had a great deal of positive feedback with more requests for the full text than I have ever encountered. People have been talking about this since Sunday morning. Thank you so much for sharing this, Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story is Propaganda. Don't teach lies to our children for your wealth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! Of course, Christians are deluded and only after your money. They aren't trying to make the world a better place by following the teaching of Jesus of Nazareth at all.

      Delete
  8. There is always someone who wants to put a dampner on things ... obviously missing some sweetness in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another excellent talk. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was used by our visiting local preacher last Sunday morning.Kids with sticky fingers

    ReplyDelete
  11. christian book store. ... Snap here to see a rundown of all Logos Member Stores. The Association of Logos Bookstores is a non-benefit, part claimed, exchange ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. David Hepburn fantastic i have eaten jelly babies for years and never known this story, thanks for letting us all know about it God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm.. good to be here in your article or post, whatever, I think I should also work hard for my own website like I see some good and updated working in your site.
    What do CBD gummies contain?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it.
    Should I buy 3000mg, 1000mg, 750mg, 500mg or 250mg gummies?

    ReplyDelete